Whether you are staying put or heading out for this year’s holiday season it is important for you to take extra measures to make sure you are protected from criminals. This is a time for joy, a time for peace and a time for celebration and family, unfortunately it is also the time where crimes are at a high. We really want you to enjoy the holidays with as much peace of mind and happiness as possible. That is why we decided to create a handy list of tips and recommendations for you to focus on what really matters this holiday season.
Verify that your home is safe from fire disasters
With the holiday season comes a bunch of new fire hazards that you need to proactively prevent. Some holiday decorations can present a danger and it is important to prevent any life threatening situations from occurring.
- Place your Christmas tree in water or wet sand to keep it healthy and wet.
- Keep all items (wrapping paper, trees, etc.) away from fireplaces and candles.
- Ensure Christmas lights are safe by verifying that the wiring, plug and lights are as good as new.
Seal off entry points
- Note that a holiday problem can occur when exterior Christmas light extension cords are run inside through a window and prevent it from being secured. Burglars love to look for that; it is an easy entry point to slide the unsecured window up.
- Be extra cautious about locking doors and windows when you leave the house, even for a few minutes.
- We can install locks that can be controlled from your GOSentinel APP.
- Large displays of holiday gifts should not be visible through your homes windows and doors.
- Make sure if you have a monitored alarm system that the sign is displayed loud and proud.
- Make sure your home appears lived in; if you are away by installing light timers, having your trusted neighbor, friend or family member clear your front porch and check in from time to time.
Be Smart, Be Safe
- Know your limit, and NEVER drink & drive.
- Be aware that criminals sometimes pose as couriers delivering gifts, charity organization representatives and other service providers. You can ask for their identification and use your judgement, but avoid letting them come into your home for whatever reason.
- If you are travelling, don’t leave messages that you are not home, or broadcast that you are on vacation via social media.
Use your professional security system amply
- Whether it be a ten minute walk or ten hour drive make sure to arm your home security system. In both instances, it can take less than a minute for someone to get in and out with the goods.
- If you don’t have one already we highly recommend installing one today to enjoy the benefits.
Most importantly enjoy this special time of year.
“As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them. “
- John F. Kennedy