Carbon Monoxide Safety

Follow these guidelines to help keep you and your loved ones safe from carbon monoxide.

 

What is carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning?

Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless and toxic gas found in the fumes produced by the improper combustion of a fossil fuel. If devices that use fuel are malfunctioning or used improperly, carbon monoxide gas can accumulate indoors and poison the humans and animals who breathe it in. The symptoms of carbon monoxide mimic the flu and include headache, fatigue, and shortness of breath, nausea and dizziness, and these symptoms often go unnoticed. Given that CO poisoning sends thousands of people to the emergency room each year, it is imperative that it be detected before it harms home dwellers.  

How can you prevent CO poisoning?

The number one way to prevent CO poisoning is to install a carbon monoxide detector in your home. Ensure that the device is functioning optimally by placing it near the area where you sleep so you’ll hear the alarm if it goes off, and check the device’s battery at least twice a year. You should also have a qualified technician verify the devices in your home that use fuel. You should also never run a car inside a garage with the door closed, and never run a car in a home attached garage.

 

Call Sentinel Alarm at 514.737.1010 ext. 3 for information on how you can obtain a carbon monoxide detector.